FROM HUMBLE BEGINNINGS TO ONE OF LANARKSHIRE'S FINEST COURSES
Carnwath Golf Club enjoys a rich history of over 100 years having celebrated our Centenary in 2007. The foundations of the Course we enjoy today started with a ‘9 hole course’ that was laid out by Mr Willie Auchterlonie, an Open champion, coveted club maker and contributor to the Jubilee course layout in St Andrew’s. Following completion, the course was formally opened in front of sizeable crowds by Lady Lockhart, the wife of Sir Simon M. Lockhart, Honorary President of the club and laird of the estates, on 29th June 1907.
Carnwath Golf Club is a delightful, mature course having been founded in 1907. The course is situated on a piece of land called ‘Gallow Hill’, to the west of the village of Carnwath. In 1907, the course was much different to what we know today.
The course was finally extended to 18 holes in May 1922 and by 1936 Carnwath Golf Club was visited by more than 3,000 golfers annually. With the acquisition of a further 20 acres south of the course, it's layout was again redesigned by G.M Clark, then club champion. The new layout opened in July 1963 and with minor modern reworks, it remains a stern test of accuracy for golfers of all abilities to this day.
The club crest bears a silhouette of Carnwath Motte, a natural mound with a man-made defensive ditch surrounding, on which a lookout tower stood in the 12th century. The ‘Roundel’, which shares its name with the courses opening hole, is still a visible feature of the course, located directly behind the first green. The Antlers that surround the crest represent the vast wildlife you will often see when playing the course and visiting the surrounding area.
Despite the rural setting of the Golf Club, it is easily accessible from both Glasgow and Edinburgh, making it a popular venue for visitors. Renowned for our hospitality, the staff and members will make your visit both pleasant and enjoyable.
Our Course Record stood at 63 for over 20 years, set by past Member and Record Holding Club Champion Stevie Callan. Stevie's longstanding record was broken during Rnd 1 of the 2016 Lady Lockhart De Robeck Open, as Gordon Yates of Dalziel Park Golf Club made 10 Pars and 8 Birdies on his way to a magnificent 62.
Our record of 62 was equaled in 2019 by our Club Champion for that year, Craig Forbes, who scored 62 in the first round on his way to securing the title.
Our club crest has evolved somewhat since the Club was founded in 1907. The first official crest was a simple crossed clubs and is known to have dated to ~1940's.
It evolved in the late 80's / early 90's with the advent of IT, as the Club aimed to include features of the Course in the crest following a competition in the local School.
In 2016 our club crest evolved to what we now officially recognise a the Club's identity, drawn by longstanding Member, Andrew Lewis. It retains traditions of the retired crests and provides a more manageable solution for the Club.
The new 'Club Crest' bears a more recognisable silhouette of 'Carnwath Motte', a natural mound with a man-made defensive ditch surrounding, on which a lookout tower stood in the 12th century. The ‘Roundel’, which shares its name with the courses opening hole, is still a visible feature of the course, located directly behind the first green.
The Antlers were added to surround the crest and represent the vast wildlife you will often see when playing the course and visiting the surrounding area.